Coronavirus- what we can do to avoid catching it
Coronavirus is dominating headlines all over the media at the moment. But what can we do to prevent ourselves from catching it?
Just like the Flu, Coronavirus can spread easily from one person to another. We are being advised to take some simple steps to protect ourselves.
Step one-wash your hands
It seems simple right? However, making sure we wash our hands thoroughly is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of the virus. Just like with the Flu virus, personal hygiene is crucial in containing it.
- Wet your hands with clean running water
- Apply soap
- Lather hands including the back, under the nails and between the fingers
- Scrub for at least 20 seconds
- rinse thoroughly
Step two- Coughing and sneezing
- Cover your mouth with a tissue if you cough or sneeze.
- Immediately dispose of the tissue and thoroughly wash your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow rather than your hands.
Step three- Masks
- Masks can be worn, however, they will only protect from larger particles and smaller ones could still get through.
Step four- symptoms
- If you experience a fever, sore throat, a cough or difficulty breathing, the advice is to contact a health professional. You are advised to not attend a GP clinic until you have spoken to them.
Step five- travel
- If you have travelled to any affected areas in the last 2 weeks you must self quarantine. Affected areas include China, South Korea, Iran and Italy. You should stay home and not come in contact with others for 14 days. This includes not going to work, school or public areas.
All of this advice is similar to what we do to prevent the spread of the common cold and the Flu.
If you are concerned you or a loved one may have any of the above symptoms, you can call 111 for advice.
If you use our care package remember you can speak to our call centre or use your personal alarm if you feel unwell.